Guideline 5 states that Australians should care for their food; prepare and store it safely. We have a reliable, safe and nutritious food supply in Australia. But food poisoning happens too frequently. More than five million cases of food borne illnesses are estimated to occur every year in Australia.
Useful information about ways to keep food safe can be found at the websites below.
- Food Standards Australia and New Zealand - Food safety fact sheets
- NSW Food Authority - Keeping food safe
- Better Health Channel - Topic: Food safety
- Queensland Government - Food safety fact sheets
- Northern Territory Department of Health - Fact sheets: Food safety
- Government of Western Australia - Food safety
- Tasmania Department of Health and Human Services - Food safety
- Government of South Australia - Food safety index
- Food Safety Information Council