20 minutes preparation + 30 minutes cooking
10 serves of vegies in this recipe
- 4 small chicken breasts, skin removed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine (optional)
- 1 bay leaf or bouquet garni sachet
- 700g mixed vegetables of choice (carrots, cauliflower,
- leeks, cabbage, asparagus, baby corn, peas)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped mixed herbs (parsley, thyme,
- oregano, marjoram) or 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- Freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- Olive or canola oil spray
Preheat oven to 200 °C. In a large covered pan, slowly poach chicken breasts in chicken stock, sherry and bay leaf for 15–20 minutes depending on size. Cut vegetables into bite-sized pieces and add to the pan. Cover and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and place chicken and vegetables into a deep pie dish, leaving behind the juices. Mix cornflour with milk and add to juices, bringing to the boil to thicken. Add herbs and season with pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables. Prepare pastry crust by spraying every second sheet of filo with a little oil and layering sheets on top of each other. Place over top of dish, scrunching up slightly. Spray with a little oil and bake until crisp and brown. Serve immediately.
To reduce the fat content, filo may be brushed with beaten egg white instead of oil. This dish may be served as a casserole without the filo pastry.
Serve with rice or mashed potato.
|Serves in this recipe: 4|
|Serve size: 537g|
|Quantity per serving||Quantity per 100g|